Friday, December 14, 2007

Meditation Part I

I recently learned about meditation and what it really means and entails. I have to say it is quite interesting. I'm not sure what I thought before. I thought it was something about being somewhere else actually, like looking at your past. But the exact opposite is true of meditation.

Here is what I learned:

Meditation is sitting with yourself in the silence and being exactly where you are in body and mind. So it means to put everything about who you think you are, away, out of your mind. Everything that you identify with, your home, your family, your job, your car, your insecurities, your past, your future, you put it all away and you tell your mind to stop talking.

You ever notice how our minds just go and go and go and think and think and think. Well, during meditation you tell your mind to rest. Of course it is going to try to do its job and start thinking of something else again, but as soon as you realize it, you tell it to rest, and you try to do that without words.

No words.

The idea is that you just sit with yourself in silence and JUST BE.

No comments: