Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Evolution of the Relationship With Your Parents

The evolution of the relationship with our parents is an interesting topic to me. I know I have had to do a lot of accepting of this evolution and change in my own life with my own parents. Add to that the situation that many of us are in with dealing with step-parents and two different sets of parents.

As we become adults there is a transition or evolution in the relationship between us and our parents. I know for me, I had (have) certain expectations of what it is supposed to be like as my parents get older and how they are supposed to be with me and my children. And I am sure that our parents have expectations of what they thought it would be like. I don't think those expectations are the same.

With that being said, and knowing that at times of transition anxiety levels increase and there is a fight or struggle internally to keep things the same, some acceptance needs to happen. We as the children need to just stop and let it be- let the relationship evolve and take shape instead of struggling with trying to mold it our way.

No comments: