Monday, October 22, 2007

The Power of Our Minds

Have you ever wondered how folk healers or shamans can really help people get better???

I don't think we give enough credit to who we actually are. We don't give our minds and the power of us enough control.

I believe Folk Healers and Shamans work because they make you BELIEVE you will get better. They tell you there is an evil entity in you, they locate it, and they remove it with powerful force (as an example). You believe they took it out and you are cured. It's not magic on their part; it's magic on yours. It's something that is already within each and every one of us. It starts with learning to be self-aware and learning to talk to yourself when you are listening. You can tell yourself anything.

Have you ever wondered just how much control you have over your mood, feelings, thoughts, if really it is all just controlled by chemicals and neurotransmitters???

I wonder about this at least monthly!!! ;) Women get irritated, bitchy, in a "bad mood" during PMS. Why? Because their hormones change during that time. So if it is just hormones changing, how can hormones actually change who we are during that time? Are we just controlled by these substances and there is no us? Are we just reactive to the chemicals in our bodies? I don't know the answers to these questions, I just ponder over them. I think again, it starts with stopping and relaxing. Listening to your body. I like to think that I have control over who I am, how I act and react, what I think and believe.

I understand that sometimes I may be in a bad mood. That's ok with me if something didn't go my way or I have a particularly stressful day. I also understand that I have no control over my emotions. They are bodily responses to my environment that I have no control over. But I do have control over my mood and feelings and thoughts. My thought here is to listen to my body when I do have an emotional reaction. I can feel what my body is doing and try to understand the emotion that is coming through. It doesn't mean I have to act on it or react to it; I can just let it happen and process it. I think that through understanding yourself and your emotions then you can begin to allow yourself control over you. Give your mind the power it already possesses.


This is not to be insensitive to those who have serious medical conditions, as this does not apply to those individuals.

No comments: